Simple Ways to Boost Your Health!
- Refrain from drinking liquids half an hour before, during, and after a meal: I started doing this about a year ago and my metabolism has been so much more efficient since then! The reason for this is because the body produces acids to break down food. When you drink liquid with meals, the acids are diluted and the body must work harder to produce more. This is much more time consuming and draining on the digestive process.
- Drink room temperature water: Cold water takes more energy to digest.
- Take a walk: Just 30-60 minutes of uninterrupted walking can help you burn fat throughout the day and is also excellent for mental health (especially when you walk outside!).
- Stop eating a couple hours prior to bedtime: If you are a boredom snacker like me, this is helpful for obvious reasons! Also, when you eat before bedtime, your body doesn’t have the chance to utilize the energy from your food properly. I find that I tend to eat my unhealthiest when I am tired and too lazy to make myself a proper meal, so that’s the main reason I have found this tip helpful. Plus, I get horrible acid reflux when I don’t follow this rule. 🙁
- Eat your vegetables first: Vegetables are quite filling, and I tend to eat less overall when I eat them first.
- Eat a variety of vegetables: I have found that if I eat the same vegetable every day, I tend to get sick of it. Try out new vegetables and eat all of the colors! This is also smarter because each vegetable has different vitamins that are good for your body.
- Don’t let yourself starve: This is a big one! If I go too long without eating, I end up overeating my next meal and then getting a terrible stomach ache. 🙁 This act is also really straining on the thyroid gland.
- Think happy thoughts!: I can’t stress this enough! Our overall health is so connected to the way that we think and feel. Whenever I am feeling down is when I tends to crave sugar, so this tip is prevention at its finest.
- Moderation in all things: It all comes down to this! Eating desserts doesn’t have to be the worst thing in the world as long as you know your limits. This goes for healthy food, too! Consuming only apples or mostly carrots all day isn’t going to do your body justice. Variety is the spice of life. 🙂
I am nowise a certified dietician, but these are just some things that I have tried to implement over the years that have really helped me find a healthy balance in my life.
Here’s to a happier and healthier you!