Top 10 Things I Wish I Knew As a New Parent
Many things come naturally as a new parent, but there are also so many things that must be learned! This list was created based on personal experience & is for all of my friends who are becoming parents (now that Levi is six months old and I’m totally qualified to pass on my wisdom). 😉
- Baby poop will leave its mark! Let’s just say that my new baby wrap was stained after our first wear…
- Prop Baby up at night if he spits up often. Levi would wake up crying at night because of what I think was acid reflux, and this solution worked wonders! It also prevented him from choking on his spit up.
- Beware of certain foods while breastfeeding! If your baby is extra gassy (and upset because of it), don’t overdo the gaseous foods such as broccoli, beans, and eggs.
- Always have a spare onesie. On one occasion, Levi had a blowout while I was at the gym (he was in the daycare center) and the caretakers were less than thrilled.
- Buy bigger diapers for nighttime wear. When Levi started sleeping through the night, I didn’t like to wake him up for a diaper change. Instead, I got bigger diapers for more absorbency!
- Go out to eat while Baby is young. Newborns tend to sleep right through a meal at a noisy restaurant! Now that Levi is older (and teething), it’s more challenging to take him out to eat.
- Take it easy. I was so eager to exercise that I began only one month prior to giving birth; my uterus started bleeding again since it wasn’t healed yet. Even if you feel like you can conquer the world, make sure to ease into exercising or even household chores and grocery shopping.
- Consistency is key. If Baby gets tired at 8 pm every night, try to be in a place where he can sleep! This takes some sacrifice, but it is so much better to have a quiet night with a happy baby than wasting a fun outing on a cranky baby.
- Make eating a priority. The 1st month was a total blur with the lack of sleep and all. I was so tired most days that I didn’t eat breakfast until 3:00 pm. This continued until my chiropractor advised me otherwise and I really worked hard to make a nice and healthy breakfast every morning. I became much more energized and productive!
- Babies are the greatest blessing. This tidbit is what keeps you sane!
I wish you all the best on your exciting new journey! Xoxo Aubrey
Are you a parent? Share your wisdom below!